Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Language of Gloves



Having established the various communications that might be made with the fan, we turn our attention to the hidden language of a ladies glove. Once again, the Victorians found ways to use commonplace items to circumvent social rules.

Biting the tips - I wish to be rid of you soon
Clenching the gloves, rolled up in the right hand - No

Drawing half way on left hand - Indifference

Dropping both gloves - I love you

Dropping one glove - Yes

Folding up carefully - Go away

Holding the tips downward - I wish to be acquainted

Holding them loose in the right hand - Be contented

Holding them loose in the left hand - I am satisfied

Left hand with the naked thumb exposed - Do you love me?

Putting gloves away - I am most vexed

Right hand with the naked thumb exposed - Kiss me

Smoothing gloves gently - I wish I were with you

Striking gloves over the shoulder - Follow me

Tapping the chin - I love another

Tossing the gloves up gently - I am engaged

Turning them inside out - I hate you

Twisting them around the fingers - Be careful, we are being watched

Using them as a fan - Introduce me to your friends

Striking gloves over the hand - I am displeased

5 comments:

Erika said...

Aww, poor guy...introduce me to your friends?? What if he's madly in love with you??

steveandjanna said...

See, I always thought when you dropped your gloves you wanted to fight. All that said, it sounds like the Victorians were a bunch of mutes.

Anonymous said...

No no no, when you wanted to fight you slapped your would be opponant in the face and hurl the glove down in disgust.

Anonymous said...

Imagine how an argument at a party would look using gloves and fans. Everyone clenching, dropping, tapping, and fanning.
You should write a story about a female spy in the victorian era.

Mrs. P said...

(holds gloves loose in left hand)
Miss J, you have surpassed yourself! We eagerly await a post on the floral vocabulary of the dear old Victorians.