Monday, October 31, 2005

The Language of the Fan



Ah, the Victorian Era. A fascinating time. The Victorians lived in a time of great change, as social structures shifted, exploration, discovery, and invention flourished, and etiquette was raised to a whole new level (a level not matched since in Western culture). The elaborate etiquette rules did not allow for the type of emotional vomiting that is so in vogue today. However, being an ingenious people, they possessed a myriad of hidden languages to convey their affections and intentions. These languages are to be the subject of a series of posts here at Penultimate Grooviness. Over the next week or so, we will cover the languages of flowers, calling cards, postage stamps, gloves, parasols, handkerchiefs, and, today, fans.

You see, even the most well brought up Victorian girl was likely to fall in love at some point in her life. Regretable, but true. Being well brought up, she naturally could not speak of her feelings directly to the object of her affection. She could indirectly, however, "speak" through a variety of means, the most fascinating and telling of which is the fan. Below you see a list of what different gestures really meant.


Holding the handle to the lips - Kiss me (and you thought the Victorians were prudes!)

Letting fan rest on right cheek - Yes

Letting fan rest on left cheek - No

Drawing across cheek - I love you

Drawing across forehead - We are being watched

Carrying in left hand - Desires your acquaintance

Carrying in right hand - You are too willing

Carrying in right hand in front of face - Follow me

Closing fan - I wish to speak to you

Fan open wide - Wait for me

Drawing across eyes - I am sorry

Open and shut - You are cruel

Placing fan on left ear - You have changed

Twirling in left hand - I wish to get rid of you

Twirling in right hand - I love another

Drawing through hand - I dislike you

Dropping the fan - We are friends

Fanning slowly - I'm married

Fanning fast - I love you very much

Closing an open fan very slowly - I promise to marry you

Gently touching one finger to the edge of the fan - I need to speak to you

Covering left ear with open fan - Don't betray our secret

Fanning with left hand - Stop flirting with other women, you idiot.

Closed fan dangling from left wrist - I'm engaged

Closed fan dangling from right wrist - I want to be engaged


And the list goes on and on. This list is by no means comprehensive, but gives you a slightish idea of the amount of things that could be "said" at a typical evening party. Can you imagine having to remember all of this? What if you were really just overheated? Fanning yourself very fast would send a message of true love to some loathsome young tarantula! Or if you were talking to someone you really liked and started absently twirling the fan in your left hand - the poor boy would think you wish him gone and far away! A system frought with potential of disaster! Oh dear...




4 comments:

steveandjanna said...

Sweet fancy Moses! I suppose it's good that ladies don't carry fans anymore. I think it would be quite difficult to remember all of these things. And of course, we wouldn't want the lower middle class to find out about any of this. Why they might start to think their simply middle class.

Smart Aleck said...

How can a guy kiss her if her hand is in the way?

Mark said...

I think it's safe to say that I'm not a fan of that system.

Erika said...

lol SA...thats the question of the hour!! 'twould be difficult i'd imagine.