Tuesday, October 18, 2005

'Hebt gij de Krakelwok geveld?



Well, while the rest of you have been engaged in pointless debate over postmil toddlers, I have been engaged in loftier pursuits. Oh yes. You can not even begin to imagine the heights of intellectual thought I have been dwelling in. Because I, gentle reader, have been google-ing random stuff. And the results of this random google-ing are truly astounding. For what I found was so profound, so supernaturally and awe-inspiringly wonderful. I found a site which provides a long-needed public service. The propietors of this site have translated the lovely poem "Jabberwocky" into many languages. The Wycliffes of the borogoves, if you will. And the mimsy raths. Not to forget the slithy toves and frumious Bandersnatches. They have taken this work of linguistic art and made it accesible to those who speak Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Esperanto, Afrikaans, Hebrew, Latin, and even the oft-neglected Klingon. What I'm keen to know is why these good people have not received a Nobel Prize for their tremendous contribution to mankind. It seems an injustice.

6 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Hoorah! the MOV was on the point of beginning such an site, but apparently has been beaten to the punch again. Oh well!

steveandjanna said...

Sweet fancy Moses! You know, Maggie accused me of having to much time on my hands because of firejohnlsmith.net but my these people have wayyyy to much time on their hands. And I'm not letting you off the hook either, that you're searching for such things means you don't have enough to do. You ought to take up a hobby, might I suggest racketball or stamp collecting.

Mark said...

Says the so-called "lawyer" during working hours.

Erika said...

lol, go mark!! I read that poem once...it was...quite something. I'm sure the people who speak all those random languages do appreciate it. Perhaps you should nominate them for the nobel prize janna. As you said, I'm sure they'd win!!

Eva Lemmon..? said...

Viv la Wallstreet journele!!!

Viv la Fronce!!!!

Kar said...

that's so cool! i've always liked that poem--at least the first "stanza". i never knew what it was saying but there was a certain regal grace or resonance to the sounds and rythym, i think (pretend i can spell that word).

later i remember reading (in class i thot) some book w/definitions for a lot of the words, saying they were forms of old words and stuff like that--yet people say that they are just nonsense. so maybe i will go check into it sometime soon--when i, too, have too much time on my hands. ;)