Thursday, October 06, 2005

Saltatory Conduction and other Epic Ideas

Yesterday during the 15 minute break in Anatomy and Physiology, I began a short story. The piece, entitled "The Nodes of Ranvier - an epic tale of neurology", chronicles the life of an action potential, pondering the best way to get across the sea of myelin. I am rather fond of this story and find it to be full of both pathos and humor. Perhaps someday when it is finished I will publish it here. I'll bet you can't wait.

On a related (A&P) note - the prof took away the classes favorite word yesterday. For weeks now we have been drilling the muscle name sternocleidomastoid into our heads. My classmates and I agreed that it is the coolest word we ever have learned. So now, the prof tells us that no one in the biz actually refers to it as sternocleidomastoid, but as SCM! What a rip-off! SCM has none of the cadence and briliance of sternocleidomastoid! Alas that medical terminology should turn away from poetic words and turn onto cold, clinical abbreviations!

Is there just the slightest possibility that I'm taking A&P too seriously?

11 comments:

Mrs. P said...

As Director of the MOV, I can heartily sympathize with your heartbroken reaction to the discovery of the medical abbreviation. Such abbreviations in any form (particularly webspeak) cut us to the quick!

With Love,
Cramp Bottom
Director
Ministry of Vocabulary

Janna said...

Many thanks, esteemed Director, for your expressions of sympathy. It has been a cruel blow indeed, but I am attempting to hold up, knowing as I do that I am not alone in this sort of affliction. Indeed, it may be said that webspeak is a greater abomination than medical abbreviations. Thank heavens the Ministry exists to counteract such evils!

Erika said...

IMspeak is NOT an abomination!! And yes Janna my dear, it is entirely possible that you are taking A&P (w/e that is) too seriuosly. Also, I shall be waiting on pins and needles for the published version of your story.

steveandjanna said...

Questions:

Do you dream about A&P at night? Do you dream of the delicious food they sell?
Do you dream about the tea they import?
Do you ever think to yourself, I wish the A&P butcher lived here.

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you are taking A&P to seriously. It's just a grocery store, calm down.

Janna said...

If people don't start being really nice to me, I'm going to begin posting other short stories and such composed during school breaks and boring lectures. "The Ode to Osmosis", for instance, is partially written in iambic pentameter and is a lovely read.

steveandjanna said...

Hey lady, you're the one who's all about the A&P, not me. I like D&W much better. Better initials, more class.

Mark said...

D&W isn't even for real yuppies. It's for Dutch yuppies. Meijer's is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, superior.

Erika said...

I WAS being nice!! I don't much care for long lectures though. And how come I've never heard of A&P??

steveandjanna said...

You can't be serious. D&W has the best deli in GR, you can't top their turkey or roast beef. Furthermore, it's the only store that has tuna steaks and really good french bread. Meijers is a joke, their deli is filled with slimey meat, they don't carry a nice selection of fish and their bread is nothing but plain old American white bread with a French flag on it. They might fool 99% of the misfits in town but they're not going to fool me.

Eva Lemmon..? said...

SCM, now thats something to shake your head about.

Janna said...

Hahahaha!!! True that, Evie, true that.