Saturday, August 20, 2005

Housecleaning

It being the weekend and all, there will be no educational posts. Saturdays are meant for relaxing and housecleaning, and even blogs need occasional tidying.

First off, I will be eating potato salad for the rest of my life. I made WAY too much for the party the other night. Next year I'll just skip it. And get more torches. And more Christmas lights. And a croquet set. Yeah.

Secondly, there have been unstable brogospheric conditions this week. Due to reasons beyond the control of both, "In My Opinion" and "The Ministry of Vocabulary" have been shut down. Also, "Don't Write Yourself Off Yet" closed it's doors for business. These are all sad developments. However, do not be downcast. Maggie is reportedly working on a new blog (yay!) and there are rumors afoot that the MOV may resume with it's humanitarian mission to improve the world through better English. I am also pleased to announce new blogs on my links list - Petey's Pro-Action Pics and Life on Union Avenue. I also have been given to understand that yet another new blog is in pre-production. News updates on this as they become available.

Thirdly, in what I consider to be a fine move, ABC reality show "Dancing with the Stars" will be holding a Dance-Off on Sept 20 (results on sept 22). Many (including myself) felt that Kelly and Alex's win over John and Charlotte was somewhat unfair. I resigned myself to their loss though. After all, I have a tendency to root for the losers. (I still wish Bo Bice had won American Idol) For deadpan grannies out there, no, I do not watch alot of reality TV. Just these two. So don't even start.

Fourthly and lastly, Celebration on the Grand is coming up! That means fireworks on Friday, Sept 9! I'll be camped out on Pearl Street bridge, which is the best spot for fireworks viewing. I'll be saving seats for all interested parties. Who knows, maybe I'll bring potato salad...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh take me! I want to go to Celebration on the Grand!! I love the pearl street bridge too (i think, is that the blue bridge. thats the one i like!)

I'll letcha know if I can ever come up with a cool, less depressing, title for a new blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

The bridge thing sounds fun, I'm in. As for Bo Bice winning American Idol you've got to be kidding me. There is nothing more lame than a karaoke rocker. Granted, that country girl was a talentless hack and equally undeserving of victory. Nevertheless, the fake rocker can't win.

Erika said...

Janna, first, potatoe salad is gross. Next time make coleslaw and you'll be much better off!! Secondly, will someone PLEASE tell me WHY it is that craMp and loretta left?? craMp was itneresting...I mean, i was LEARNING stuff here!! and lorettas...i LOVED the yentist tilt to the whole thing!! Plus she forced me to use proper grammer lest i be deleted!! Thirdly, American Idol was awesome...I loved bo, but I figured carrie would win. they BOTH had talent NL, dont' spazz out!! Who do YOU think should have won?? Dancing with the Stars was really cool. I've always been interested in dancing, even though I've never participated in said activity. Fourthly, i LOVE celebration!! I saw some of you guys at the fireworks I'm pretty sure on the bridge, so maybe this time I can see ALL of you!! Our whole skool always sits on the pearl street bridge...we'll hafta meet up or something!! That was an INCREDIBLY long comment!!

Janna said...

Yay! People to watch fireworks with! Hurrah! Sorry, Maggie. Pearl Street bridge is not the blue bridge. That's Sixth Street Bridge. Pearl Street is by the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. The fireworks reflect off the building and it's delovely!

Bo had the most talent of any of the competors. Easily.

Erika, Erika, Erika. You absolutely made my day by spelling "skool" instead of "school". Maybe we will see you at Celebration.

Charles Jurries said...

Plimooth Kristan Skool?

Mark said...

I spent way too much time on those bloody bridges last year. I went up the Sixth Street Bridge to Division and make my way back via the Fulton Street Bridge, or I'd reverse that. Went on the Pearl Street bridge several times as well. You'd think there'd be more to do on the Grand Valley campus, but there isn't.

Anonymous said...

Ladies and gentleman, Dan Quayle has returned in all his potatoe glory!

Erika said...

sorry Janna...i didn't mean to write skool...i'm glad i made ur day tho:-) Chuck, shuddup!! mark, bridges are cool...maybe you should take up bridge jumping!! then there would be lots to do!!

Janna said...

Bridge jumping sounds like an interesting hobby. Most likely not a long-term hobby, but thrilling none the less.

Bridge sitting is more my speed.

Janna said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Not spam!!! Computer Nerds, help!!! Rid my blog of the daemons who plague it!

Mark said...

Hmmm... this is disturbing. I'll set you up with Haloscan if you want, I've never had any spam problems there.

Charles Jurries said...

DirecTV is part of Rupert Murdoch's quest to conquer the globe. Perhaps Rupert is just a fan of your's, and this is his own way of expressing true creativity on a blog.

And to miss dear Erika, U 1st.
j/k! lololololololol!!!! (or am I? Huh...)

Anonymous said...

PC Today Web Log August 22, 2005
Critical Look At Vista Microsoft's upcoming Windows Vista operating system is, according to this article's reviewer, pretty throughout but not as impressive as it could be in the Internet Explorer and file ...
Wow...you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a living knowledge blog. It pretty much covers living knowledge related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Janna said...

GAH!!! Make it stop!

Janna said...

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janna said...

This must end!

Charles Jurries said...

Shaddup, spammers. You're so vain, you probably think this blog is about you.

Erika said...

Janna, bridge jumping is an exciting hobby, and is long term if one is quite careful!! How 'bout u n I brigesit and Mark and Chuck bridgejump? Chuck, U BETTER be jk, lol!! Scarlett, where are you? Lets beat these spammers up!!

Charles Jurries said...

Haha, of, um, course I was joking. Haha!

I'll be pretty easy to spot. I'll be one of the one's with a tripod! (I actually warned I may need to NOT be on the bridge, to set the camera up. It gets awfully crowded on that bridge!)

Last year, I was across from the Van Andel Museum, but this year, I should be infront of it. I should be able to get some reflections on the Amway that way.

(see, it's not just a fireworks show... It's a photo shoot!)